Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dear Diary, here’s to the Fifty Nifty United States

A little wreath I made for our door
Our last date party of the season was this past weekend and we paired with the ladies of Pi Beta Phi to put on this state-themed event. After months of back and fourth on the theme, we finally settled on ‘Fifty Nifty United States’ from the song many of us were taught in elementary school as a way to remember all the US state names.
Everyone picked a state and dressed as something famous from that state. Some of the costumes we saw were so creative! I loved that everyone really got into the theme and came up with such cute things. A few of my favorites include: the Kentucky Derby, grapes from Napa, old people from Florida, a lone star from Texas, Harley Davidson from Michigan, the Gossip Girl cast from New York, a deer and a hunter from Oklahoma, and the devil from Georgia.

I did not take a date because as social chair, I am responsible for everything running smoothly which sometimes running all over the place, therefore leaving my date all by his lonesome. I took a date to our first date party of my term and saw him for maybe fifteen minuets all night and I just felt terrible about it. So from then on my mom was my date (no, I’m not kidding) and I loved it! Then all I had to worry about was my mother being scarred from experiencing date parties from the inside, but she was social chair when she was here so she never is too shocked.
Are we in NYC?
Because I was flying solo and sober that meant the sky was the limit for my costume. So I decided to represent my favorite city, NYC, with a taxi and the iconic I heart NY logo. I did this by cutting out the letters on felt and pinning them to my black leotard. For the taxi I bought a box from the local Norman box store, cut it up, painted it yellow then decorated it. The stripes on the side are made from white duct tape with black card stock squares glued to them. The wheels are silver glitter scrapbook paper over black glitter paper. It was weird wearing a box all night, but it was nice to have a very distinct personal space bubble though.
All in all it was a great date party and everyone told me that they so much fun. I mean what more can you ask for? The new officers will be selected this Sunday so I’m passing off the reins to the next lucky gal to take my seat… it sure has been a fun ride!
Missed the 'Fifty Nifty' reference? This video should explain it all.


XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment