Friday, November 22, 2013

Dear Diary, Catching Fire well, caught me


On Thursday ChiO sprung for Catching Fire tickets for us at the prescreening at 8 o’clock so naturally half our chapter was there, including me, and all I can say is wow. All I want to do is live it over and over until I can recite it in my sleep or become Effie, whichever comes first. Am I disappointed at missed details and glossed over issues? Of course. Is it also better than I imagined from the book? Surprisingly yes. 

The visuals were more than better, they were incredible. The costumes, the hair, the make up, the scenery were all dazzling. I already read the books so the story was not what captured my attention, it was the costumes which were all done by Trish Summerville. In the opening scene Katniss has this absolutely fabulous grey, cowl neck, chunky knit, diagonal sweater thing that was the perfect blend of her roots in District 12 and her new world in the Capitol spotlight. I don’t even know what to call it but I want it.


I was underwhelmed by both Katniss and Peeta’s tour outfits. They were in no way memorable, which I guess was fine because the tour was more about the rebellion, but still, a little glitter and jewel tones go a long way.



It was all made up by Katniss’s wedding dress. I was disappointed by her flame dress in the first film, but this was a masterpiece designed by Tex Saverio. The gown was glittery, fluffy, dramatic, cloud-like and just stunning. I was disappointed by the mockingjay dress that it turned onto though because the graphics on the front and back reminded vaguely of an Affliction shirt, but the wings were sick. The people of the Capitol died for that special effect, and so did I.
Everyone was dressed to intimidate here, Effie just had a different audience than the tributes.
Speaking of Capitol couture, we must discuss my new style inspiration- Effie Trinket. She is always positive, polished, peppy and dresses like I would in my wildest dreams. This article talks more about the detail that went into synchronizing each Effie costume with where the characters and the people of Panem are in the story line.
This was my favorite ensemble- those are feather butterflies on her dress and headpiece.
Not a huge fan of this look, but cheers to the sleeves.
Used in ads and in the beginning scenes, I want to scream "IT'S SO FLUFFY!"
Every outfit came with new, matching nails- that's an insane amount of detail.
And finally, the game gear and the boys...
Not squealing when this happened was the hardest thing I'd ever done.
The wet suits the competitors wore in the games were really cool and made me want one, you know, for all the times I swim in the ocean or have to fight for my life in a jungle. In this New York Times article on the costumes of this second movie installment, Ms. Summerville said they decided to dress Peeta's character in a much more masculine way to accentuate the growing up Peeta did from being selected as a tribute to after the games as a victor. How convenient then that Josh Hutcherson, who plays Peeta, has quite the athletic build. In this movie he was much more convincing as a strong, steady man who could help save Katniss's life. 
Their nightmare-inspired sleeping situation is so precious I can't find words.
Also, at this point in the story Peeta is essentially competing with Gale for Katniss. What really got me was when I read that Ms. Summerville used a lot of subdued greens in Peeta's wardrobe "because Katniss's favorite color is green, "she said, "so subliminally, he's always trying to woo her." I know it's the costume designer saying that not the character himself, but it still brought a metaphorical tear to my eye. Peeta's undying love for Katniss is the steadfast core of the series. It's heartbreaking, tear-jerking and keeps you craving more. I've always been Team Peeta for Katniss, but maybe that's cause I want Gale/Liam for myself?
I'd accept his rose any day.

XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment