Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dear Diary, of all the fish in the sea, will you be my date to Under the Chee?



Our first date party of the semester was last Friday and it went swimmingly! The theme was “Under the Chee”- think The Little Mermaid, nautical inspirations and Hawaiian print shirts. The name is a play off “Under the Sea” because often people think Chi (kai) Omega is pronounced chee omega. So sometimes we refer to our chapter house as the chee (i.e. "I'm just going to eat dinner at the chee tonight"). It's a bit of a stretch but coming up with cutesy names for all our date parties isn't always easy. 

Without their support, this event could not have happened. A big THANK YOU to my fellow executive board members!
The girls loved it and rolled out in the cutest costumes. There were mermaids, starfish, swimmers, lifeguards, fish and all kinds of ocean life in between. I went as Sally, as in Sally who sells seashells by the seashore. Clever? I thought so. I wore my vintage romper/skort, Keds, white socks and a new navy Lacoste headband, with the seashell box I made from a left over care package container, red, white and navy felt for decorations, tan foam for the shells and skinny white cotton rope. 


As the social chair of my chapter I got to plan the whole event, which was a blast. My favorite part was the decorations. I saw this idea on Pinterest and really wanted to use it for one of our date parties, and Under the Chee was the perfect place for it! 


As usual I bit off a project that was a little more than I could handle, but thanks to the help of my friends and some of our sweet sophomores, we made it happen. We spent the week blowing up over 500 balloons and tying strings to them, and bagging them in giant trash bags. Then on Friday morning we went to the venue and tied the balloons to chicken wire I’d cut the weekend before, and then zip-tied it to the celling. It took about four hours but was so worth it.



The venue was great, food was yummy (popcorn, goldfish and mini 'sub' sandwiches) and everyone had a great time. I couldn’t have asked for a better event or better sisters to plan it for! Y'all make it easy to love my job so much:)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment