Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dear Diary, NYC Part 1: Shopping Always Reins Supreme

The high points from my most recent trip to NYC, first and foremost, shopping. 

Williamsburg , Brooklyn
Shopping was fun, lots of cute places, some retail some vintage or a mix of both. I bought some cute button earrings before one of my crippling migraines started creeping in. I took my medicine and we pushed onwards, we were in New York! The show must go on!

Armarcord (another recommendation from our local correspondent) and it was just lovely, designer vintage pieces at reasonable prices. Annabelle got a cute black sweater for $25 and I got a great gold fringe necklace for $35.

In God We Trust was my second favorite store and although I did not buy anything, I wanted to. They had a little display case of gold lockets that looked innocent enough from afar, but when you got up close you realized each had a tiny inscription handwritten in old-school cursive. These inscriptions were sassy and hilarious- phrases like “In it to win it”, “Fuck off” “BORING” and “Really fucking cute”. I almost bought the “Best fucking friends” heart necklace set but it was expensive and those edges looked sharp.

East Village, Manhattan
Wow I love the East V! Just one stop from Brooklyn yet an entirely new world. The first thrift/vintage/resale shop we tumbled into was El Train Vintage and I so badly wanted to buy the whole store. It was chalk-full of amazing vintage finds but at almost thrift store prices.
Buffalo Exchange – Buffalo is such a hit or miss experience, this one was a hit though! The workers were so nice and friendly and clearly friends with each other in the best way. Annabelle found a ton of great things and I snagged a fabulous goose down packable grey/neon coral puffer vest for $26.
Gap – the Gap Body has its own shop at this location and honestly we only ducked in to get out of the cold but as usual they were having a great sale and as usual I bought something; an unbelievably soft long sleeved yoga top for $7.
Anthropologie - this Anthro on fifth is amazing, spacious, and almost the entire basement was sale items. We ended up cabbing it to the SoHo store so I could get the Rivulet quilt in a twin cause we found it on sale in a queen in that store.
East Village Thrift on Second avenue was weird and the guy who said “I guess” when we asked him if he worked there was kind of crazy but I got some great earrings and a gold ring with an S embossed on it for $13 total.

Greenwich Village, Manhattan
Right next door to the East Village, Greenwich is the location of the famous Friends apartment (which we regrettably have yet to track down). With Washington Square Park as its memorable landmark and abundance of shopping and eateries, I love visiting this area of Manhattan.
Goodwill  – By far the nicest Goodwill I've ever been in. It doesn't even smell bad because the workers constantly spray air freshener and instead of carpet the store has hardwood floors. The prices are a bit steeper than the Goodwill stores in Oklahoma and Texas, but still very cheap. The cashier was super nice and gave us great directions to other thrift shops in the area. I got a red American Apparel Skater dress for $15, a reversible vintage top for $7, and tried on a great Ralph Lauren formal dress that I decided I didn't need but it was in perfect condition. 

Star Struck – I got a great cape here last year, it's a block or two east of Goodwill. Sort of pricy but you can find some good deals here, its all vintage threads. It's a bit crowded but very well organized. 

Housing Works – 5 blocks from Goodwill, this store sold thrift clothes and home goods, and was like a thrifty bare bones West Elm. I got a preppy white skirt and a half zip Champion work out top all for $20. They had some amazing cowhide ottomans that were hard to walk away from but being as I wont live in an apartment until 2015, I had to say no.
Angel Street Vintage Shop - We just popped into this place for a second. They mostly had furniture and home goods, but I found a cool feather double ring for $1. It's right down the street from Housing Works so it's an easy place to swing by. 
Monk - around the corner from Goodwill, near Washington Square Park, this shop had terrible employees. Two girls who were working there didn’t speak to us the entire time. The store was full of damaged pieces that were marked at least ten times their value; the whole thing was absurd.I tried on a great pair of high waisted caramel leather shorts here around this time last year and they were still there, in even worse condition and if it’s even more possible- more overpriced. This time I did find a really soft red circle scarf in the sale section in the back so I did buy it, but not happily. Its safe to say I won’t be returning there.
Upper East Side
Fifth Avenue – Oh 5A, such a magical place. We walked up it from 42nd till we hit the park, popping in one incredible flagship store after another. Most store’s holiday decorations were still up so that was really fun to see. My personal favorite was the Bergdorf Goodman store because they went with a simplistic snow-covered wood and bird theme that was just stunning.
The Apple store at the beginning/end of the shops is underground and always looks so cool but I’ve never been in, I can only imagine it being quite hectic down there. For some reason there were lines outside both Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch which are probably the two stores that are disgracing the avenue the most so that was incredibly confusing.
The Tiffany & Co. store is a must-see (yes, that Tiffany’s), if nothing else for the photo opp.

Henry Bendel’s is another can’t-miss for fashionistas and GG girls as it was one of Blair’s favorite shopping spots (sadly the headband section is no longer there – times have changed since queen B ruled Manhattan!).

My heart aches. Take me back now.
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment