Monday, July 29, 2013

Dear Diary, Eureka! I've finally figured out how to layer!

J. Crew Spring 2013 from fashionologie.com

Due to Pinterest, Instagram and J. Crew’s insane summer sales, I have been obsessing over a summer look very different than my own - layering. This means preppy sweaters with bright button ups underneath and lightweight jackets on top with mountains of jewelry in between. So fabulous, so nautical chic! Then I came to the sudden realization in that I have no idea how to layer on my own. I studied Pinterest more carefully, went into J. Crew stores and tried (and failed miserably) to piece together sweater and shirt combos. Everything I tried on felt stiff, hot and awkward. I thought, “I will never be able to do this, layering just won’t be a thing for me, like drop-waist dresses and shoes with fat horizontal straps.”

And then I went to San Francisco.

As fate would have it I packed for 75 degree weather, but when we arrived the fog and windchill made it 60 at best. I waltzed in wearing a semi-sheer silk button up and shorts for goodness sake! I had a feeling we weren’t in Texas any more. So what did I do? I pulled my one sweater over my silk shirt and put on only pair of jeans I brought with me. When I was packing I never intended to wear the white and red gingham silk shirt with the crème cable-knit sweater but the act of desperation made me pair them and the result was fabulous! We had a total mommy-and-me moment when I realized my mother had rolled her sleeves the same way: 
 
Me: Ralph Lauren Sweater, Madewell shirt, VS Jeggings
Mother: Northface fleece, Ralph Lauren shirt

The very first thing we did after leaving the hotel was B-linging it to the nearest shopping avenue to buy an army green cargo jacket. A green cargo jacket was something I’d been eying for years, but never needed it. But I wore it every day and turns out to be a great layering piece. The next day we went took a walking tour around the Presidio, and went shopping for more layers.

That night we at dinner at Tadish's for my mother’s birthday so I put on my new neutral sweater over my bright silk button up for the evening and zipped into my favorite wedges for the short walk to the restaurant.
 
Banana Republic sweater, Worthington silk shirt, J. Crew necklace, Kendra Scott earrings, Gap belt, VS jeans, Longchamp tote, Sam Edelman wedges

The next day we went to Tiburon and I was really feeling the blue vibes… almost too much! I decided I just had to throw on a sparkly necklace to give a little girly touch to my boyish outfit.
 
CottonOn jacket, J. Crew shirt, Henri Bendel sweater, J. Crew Necklace

So all I needed was a little change in temperature, some more long sleeves in my wardrobe and silk shirts under the sweaters in order to feel comfortable with the layering style! In the mid west we still have a few more months before we can bring our sweaters out of hibernation, but it’s a great look for fall if you have cooler temperatures coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment